The Direct Access Adult Hearing Service, includes: hearing aid fitting (where required), follow-up and aftercare services for adults with suspected or diagnosed hearing loss. A referral should be made via your GP. The service is currently provided from two locations, one in South Elmsall and one in Rycroft. The audiologist is Mr Richard Thompson.
Referral to first assessment – within 1-2 weeks.
About the service
Our NHS adult hearing service is carried out by the audiologist and is supported by a dedicated team providing a 'drop-in' repair clinic.
The service consists of the following:
- Hearing needs assessment
- Develop on Individual Management Plan
- Provision and fitting of hearing aids
- Hearing rehabilitation e.g. Education
- Information and signposting to relevant support services
- Aftercare service for up to 3 years, including advice, maintenance and review
- Battery, tips, domes and tube replacement service.
We accept all referrals from GPs.
On the day of the appointment
On arrival you will be received by our reception staff. You will then be seen by the audiologist who will carry out the hearing assessment and either:
- Assess and fit – dependent upon the hearing loss
- Take an impression for an ear mould and return for fitting.
Following fitting of aids, you will be able to access the 'drop-in' repair service which is available 7 days per week for any minor adjustments e.g. Tube replacement, batteries etc.
You will receive regular reviews during the 3 year pathway, following which you will be re-assessed.